Appalachian Highlands Resources for Native Plants – 2022
(Commercial entities are not endorsed, just listed as possible resources)
Where can I see a garden of native plants?
- Jacob’s Nature Park, Johnson City, TN
- Blue Ridge Discovery Center, Konarock, VA (south of Chilhowie)
- Damascus Trail Center, Damascus, VA
- Steele Creek Park, Bristol, TN
- Discovery Gardens, Gray Fossil Site, Gray, TN
I’d like more background on the importance of wildlife habitat.
- Bringing Nature Home by Douglas W. Tallamy
- Nature’s Best Hope: A New Approach to Conservation That Starts in Your Yard by Douglas W. Tallamy
- The Nature of Oaks by Douglas W. Tallamy
- The Living Landscape by Rick Darke & Doug Tallamy
- Gardening With the Native Plants of Tennessee: The Spirit of Place by Margie Hunter
- Garden Revolution by Larry Weaner and Thomas Christopher
I’d like guidance in designing my native habitat and selecting native plants. Where can I talk to a knowledgeable nurseryman within about 2-3 hours from the Tri Cities?
- Wood Thrush Natives (Floyd, VA) https://woodthrushnatives.com/
- Shy Valley Farm (Fall Branch, TN) Shy Valley Farm
- Tennessee Naturescapes (Oliver Springs, TN) Tennessee Naturescapes
- Overhill Gardens (Vonore, TN, 3 hrs.) https://overhillgardens.com/index.html
- Carolina Natives (Burnsville, NC) Carolina Native Nursery
I’m ready for a native plant buying road trip, where can I go?
- Mid-Atlantic Natives (Cobbs Creek, VA) https://midatlanticnatives.com/
- Hummingbird Hill Natives (Charlottesville, VA) http://www.hummingbirdhillnatives.com/
- Gardens of the Blue Ridge (Danielsville, GA) https://gardensoftheblueridge.com/
- Native Plant Rescue Squad, (Knoxville, TN) https://www.nativeplantrescuesquad.org/
- Carolina Native Nursery (Burnsville, NC) https://www.carolinanativenursery.com/
- Mellow Marsh (Siler City, NC) https://www.mellowmarshfarm.com/
- Wetland Plants Inc (Edenton, NC) https://www.wetlandplantsinc.com/
- GroWild, Inc (>3 hrs, Fairview, TN) https://www.growildinc.com/
- Reflection Riding: https://reflectionriding.org/buy-native-plants
How can I get the unusual native plants not available locally?
- Roundstone Seeds (KY) https://roundstoneseed.com/
- Izel Native Plants (online) https://www.izelplants.com/
- Toadshade WF Farm: https://www.toadshade.com/
- Prairie Nursery (Westfield, WI) Prairie Nursery
- Prairie Moon Nursery (Winona, MN) Prairie Moon Nursery
- Ernst Seeds (Meadville, PA) https://www.ernstseed.com/
I like to go to workshops and meet people with similar interests, are there any in the area?
- The Cullowhee Native Plant Conference (Cullowhee, NC) Western Carolina University – The Cullowhee Native Plant Conference (wcu.edu)
- Plant Natives 2022! – Tennessee Valley Chapter of Wild Ones (tnvalleywildones.org)
- Native Plant Symposium, Highlands Biological Station, Highlands, NC https://highlandsbiological.org/
- Spring Wildflower Pilgrimage, GSMNP-https://www.wildflowerpilgrimage.org/
- Native Plants in the Landscape (Millersville, PA) Native Plants in the Landscape Conference at Millersville – Bowman’s Hill Wildflower Preserve (bhwp.org)
It’s a rainy day for me to browse native plant Web sites, give me some starters.
- Wild Ones https://wildones.org/
- Wild Ones Appalachian Highlands Chapter
- Bringing Nature Home, Doug Tallamy http://www.bringingnaturehome.net
- Homegrown National Park http://homegrownnationalpark.org
- Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center http://www.wildflower.org/
- VA Dept. of Game and Inland Fisheries http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlife/habitat/
- TN Native Plant Society https://www.tnps.org/
- VA Native Plant Society https://vnps.org/
- Tennessee-Kentucky Plant Atlas https://tennessee-kentucky.plantatlas.usf.edu/
Where can I learn if a plant is native to my area?
- USDA Plants Database http://plants.usda.gov/java
- BONAP http://bonap.org/
- National Wildlife Federation Plant finder https://www.nwf.org/nativeplantfinder/
- Audubon Society Plant Database https://www.audubon.org/native-plants
- Digital Atlas of the Virginia Flora vaplantatlas.org
I like reference books to consult, any suggestions?
- The Southeast Native Plant Primer by Larry Mellichamp and Paula Gross
- Wildflowers and Plant Communities of the Southern Appalachian Mountains and Piedmont by Timothy P. Spira
- Wildflowers by William Cullina
- Native Trees, Shrubs and Vines by William Cullina
- Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians by Dennis Horn, Tavia Cathcart, and Tom Hemmerly
- Butterflies of Tennessee by Rita Venable
- Gardening with the Native Plants of Tennessee: The Spirit of Place by Margie Hunter
How can I get rid of those nasty weeds and invasive plants?
- A Field Guide for the Identification of Invasive Plants in Southern Forests: https://wiki.bugwood.org/Archive:IPSF
- Tennessee Invasive Plant Council (tnipc.org)
- Invasive Plants Species List (virginia.gov)
- Blue Ridge PRISM Inc – Invasive Species in the northern Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia
What are some native plant podcasts I can listen to?
- Native Plant Podcast
- Growing Greener
- In Defense of Plants
- Native Plants Healthy Planet
- Nature Revisited